Our America: The Latino Presence In American Art
Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art
Is Latino art an integral part of modern American art? Presenting over one hundred major artworks from the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Our America seeks to "recalibrate" enduring concepts about American national culture by exploring how one group of artists—those of Latin American descent and heritage—express their relationship to American art, history, and culture.
E. Carmen Ramos addresses the whole issue of the definition of "Latino art" and how this emerged within the context of the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s as American artists of Latino descent (Mexican American, Puerto Rican, Cuban American, and, more recently, Dominican) began to give a tangible face to their culture and history.
Highlights include an installation altar by Amalia Mesa-Bains, the "recycled" films of Raphael Montañez Ortiz, and a 1960 geometric painting by Carmen Herrera. Other notable artists include Olga Albizu, Melesio "Mel" Casas, Maria Magdalena Campos-Pons, Margarita Cabrera, Enrique Chagoya, Teresita Fernández, Ken Gonzales-Day, Luis Jiménez, Ana Mendieta, Pepón Osorio, Sophie Rivera, Freddy Rodríguez, and John M. Valadez, among many others.
Winner of first prize in the Association of Art Museum Curators (AAMC) award for excellence, 2014
Author and curator E. Carmen Ramos is the Smithsonian American Art...
- The Art Of Henna: The Ultimate Body Art Book And Kit
- Becoming Amish: A Family's Search For Faith, Community And Purpose
- Taken By Tuesday (Weekday Brides Series)
- Violence And Virtue: Artemisia Gentileschi's "Judith Slaying Holofernes"
- The Complete Book Of Ducati Motorcycles: Every Model Since 1946
- Movie Publicity Showcase Volume 11: Laurel And Hardy In "Block-Heads"
- Sarah Stone: Natural Curiosities From The New Worlds (Art Of Nature)
- What Are Little Girls Made Of?: Children's Board Book (Little Bird Greetings)
- Financial Risk Modelling And Portfolio Optimization With R
- Valley Girl
- FAME: Black Eyed Peas
- Alfred Day's Treatise On Harmony
- Street Legends, Vol. 1
- Mental Card Tricks - Magic Tricks Using The Mind To Impress And Amaze
- Contemporary Composers
- National Geographic Magnificent Animals: A Coloring Book
- A Million Worlds With You (Firebird)
- Art Since 1960 (World Of Art)
- Rick Day Bel Ami 2018: Gallery Edition (Super Large Size)
- Introduction To Operations And Supply Chain Management (4th Edition)