Nieve Guerra finds herself caught between the tides of her parents’ rocky relationship and a country in the midst of a revolution. Recording her daily thoughts and accounts of living with her abusive father, an alcoholic theater actor, Nieve uses her diary to express herself. From being sent away from her mother, her mother’s free-spirited and loving boyfriend, and her childhood city of Cienfuegos to being forced to call herself a Cuban “revolutionary Pioneer,” Nieve records in honest detail a life in which she loses those she loves the most--and can do nothing about it.
Through her diary entries, Nieve reveals the intimate details of a turbulent family life while painting an authentic portrait of the social and political unrest in Cuba under the rule of Castro.
Question: What inspired you to write Everyone Leaves?
Wendy Guerra: My parents' deaths, both in 2004, and the disappearance of a generation that is dying much sooner than its predecessors. The rediscovery of my childhood diary and the need to tell my life story through a girl in this fictitious socialist reality....
- The Secret Ingredient Of Wishes: A Novel
- Renaissance And Cavalier Dance, English Country Dances
- Taken By Surprise: A Dance Improvisation Reader
- Grounded (The Flight Series) (Volume 2)
- The Kaleidoscope Of Gender: Prisms, Patterns, And Possibilities
- A Notion Of Pelicans
- Doodle Design & Draw FASHION (Dover Doodle Books)
- Gender-Based Perspectives On Batterer Programs: Program Leaders On History, Approach, Research, And Development
- Dictionary Of Plant Breeding, Second Edition
- The Unemotional Investor: Simple System For Beating The Market (Motley Fool Books)
- EVOLUTION: Contemporary Protocols For Anterior Single-tooth Implants
- Pathways To Artistry Technique, Bk 1: A Method For Comprehensive Technical And Musical Development
- Day Of The Dead Folk Art
- The Clinical Interview Of The Child
- ¿Quién Manda Aquí?: El Libre Albedrío Y La Ciencia Del Cerebro
- The Starday Story: The House That Country Music Built (American Made Music Series)
- Marcel Rochas: Designing French Glamour
- Upcycling Celebrations: A Use-What-You-Have Guide To Decorating, Gift-Giving & Entertaining
- Ara Guler's Istanbul: 40 Years Of Photographs
- Praxis II Education Of Young Children (5024) Exam Secrets Study Guide: Praxis II Test Review For The Praxis II: Subject Assessments