Getting Ghost: Two Young Lives And The Struggle For The Soul Of An American City
Getting Ghost: Two Young Lives and the Struggle for the Soul of an American City
When doing research inside Detroit’s downtown juvenile detention facility, Luke Bergmann befriended Dude Freeman and Rodney Phelps—both petty drug dealers facing profoundly uncertain futures, living difficult lives in which chaos is always around the corner. Bergmann would end up living three years among the abandoned houses and desolate vacant lots of one of Detroit’s most notorious neighborhoods.
In telling their stories and those of their families, Bergmann brilliantly explores the complex contradictions of Detroit’s status as a “chocolate city,” proudly and uniquely claimed by its predominantly black residents, where African Americans firmly hold municipal power but also suffer the legacy of lost manufacturing jobs and white flight. For young men like Dude and Rodney who strive to find ways toward “legal” jobs and straight lives, “getting ghost” is a rich metaphor—for leaving a scene, for quitting the trade, and for their own mortality.
A tour de force of original analysis and powerful storytelling reminiscent of Adrian Nicole LeBlanc’s bestselling Random Family and Sudhir Venkatesh’s Off the Books, Getting Ghost paints an unforgettable portrait of two young men and of the troubled city they call home.
- Lying: A Metaphorical Memoir
- Les Miserables: Tome V - JEAN VALJEAN (French Edition)
- Making Home From War: Stories Of Japanese American Exile And Resettlement
- Assault And Beret (A Hat Shop Mystery)
- The Endangered Species Act At Thirty: Vol. 1: Renewing The Conservation Promise
- Floating In Sausalito: Photographs By Lars Strandberg
- The Devil's Financial Dictionary
- What Is God?
- The Sociology Of Religion
- 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum Of Art
- Microeconomics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- Big Nate: Game On!
- Hand Transferring (Basic Texts For Apprentices In Lithography, II)
- Illuminated Hebrew Manuscripts
- Hutzler's: Where Baltimore Shops (Landmarks)
- Life On Mars: Poems
- Selected Sections On United States International Taxation, 2013 (Selected Statutes)
- Controlled Substance Management In Chronic Pain: A Balanced Approach
- Giraffes: 51 Fascinating Facts For Kids (Volume 8)
- A Mighty Long Way: My Journey To Justice At Little Rock Central High School