When Writing Workshop Isn't Working: Answers To Ten Tough Questions, Grades 2-5
When Writing Workshop Isn't Working: Answers to Ten Tough Questions, Grades 2-5
Writing is hard work. Teaching it can be even harder. As most teachers know, writer's workshop doesn't always go as planned, and many find there are obstacles that they consistently struggle with. In his role as a literacy coordinator and teacher, Mark Overmeyer has heard the same issues raised again and again by both new and experienced colleagues. When Writing Workshop Isn't Working provides practical advice to overcome these common problems and get your writing workshop back on track. Acknowledging the process-based nature of the writing workshop, Mark does not offer formulaic, program-based, one-size-fits–all answers; rather, he presents multiple suggestions based on what works in real classrooms. The ten key questions this book addresses include:
- How do I help students who don't know what to write about?
- How do I help students develop stronger vocabulary and word choice?
- How do I prepare my students for standardized tests without compromising my writing program?
- How should I assess student writing?
- How can I help my students use revision effectively?
This book is a handy reference tool for answering specific questions as they pop up during the year. Mark uses student examples throughout to help teachers envision...