National Book Critics Circle Award finalist.
Paterson Award for Literary Excellence.
"What Hicok's getting at [in Elegy Owed] is both the necessity and the inadequacy of language, the very bluntness of which (talk about a paradox) makes it all the more essential that we engage with it as a precision instrument, a force of clarity, of (at times) awful grace."—Los Angeles Times
"[A] fluid, absorbing new collection. . . . Highly recommended."—Library Journal, starred review
When asked in an interview "What would Bob Hicok launch from a giant sling shot?" he answered "Bob Hicok." Elegy Owed—Hicok's eighth book—is an existential game of Twister in which the rules of mourning are broken and salvaged, and "you can never step into the same not going home again twice."
From "Notes for a time capsule":
The twig in. I'll put the twig in I carry in my pocket
and my pocket and my eye, my left eye. A cup
of the Ganges and the bacteria from shit
in the Ganges and the anyway ablutions of rainbow-
robed Hindus in the Ganges. The dawnline of the mountain
with contrail above like an accent in a language
too large for my mouth. A mirror
so whoever opens the past will see themselves
in the past and fall...
- The Puritans: Daily Readings
- Notorious RBG: The Life And Times Of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Caught In The Revolution: Petrograd, Russia, 1917 - A World On The Edge
- Titanis: A Quiet Professionals Novella (The Quiet Professionals) (Volume 4)
- Evaluating Software Architectures: Methods And Case Studies
- A People & A Nation: Volume 1: To 1877
- Why Paint Cats: The Ethics Of Feline Aesthetics
- What Is Art For?
- Christian Homeschool Planner (2016-2017)
- Anatomy & Pathology:The World's Best Anatomical Charts Book (The World's Best Anatomical Chart Series)
- She Returns To The Floating World: (Second Edition)
- A Case Manager's Study Guide: Preparing For Certification
- Women Of Color And The Reproductive Rights Movement
- Mosaics For Saxophone: Initial-Grade 5 Book 1
- Jazz Standards For Trombone: Deluxe 2-CD Set
- Teddy Bears' Picnic
- Handbook Of Violence Risk Assessment (International Perspectives On Forensic Mental Health)
- No One Told Me Not To Do This: Selected Screenprints, 2009-2015
- Learning In The Global Era: International Perspectives On Globalization And Education
- You Can't Teach Us If You Don't Know Us And Care About Us: Becoming An Ubuntu, Responsive And Responsible Urban Teacher (Black Studies And Critical Thinking)