Fully revised and updated throughout, the new edition of Discourse Analysis is a user-friendly textbook for students taking their first course in linguistic approaches to discourse.
- Second edition of a popular introductory textbook, combining breadth of coverage, practical examples, and student-friendly features
- Includes new sections on metaphor, framing, stance and style, multimodal discourse, and Gricean pragmatics
- Considers a variety of approaches to the subject, including critical discourse analysis, conversation analysis, interactional and variationist sociolinguistics, ethnography, corpus linguistics, and other qualitative and quantitative methods
- Features detailed descriptions of the results of discourse analysts’ work
- Retains and expands the useful student features, including discussion questions, exercises, and ideas for small research projects.
"A feature, and strength, of the book is its balanced approach. Johnstone does not support one approach at the expense of others, but carefully explains that texts can be analyzed in different ways, the reasons why some researchers choose one approach over another, and the results that different approaches bring." (Discourse Studies, January 2009)
“The exercises incorporated into the book help students carry out mini-discourse analyses on their...