In this authoritative edition of John Milton’s epic poem, Paradise Lost is presented in the original language of its 1674 publication, with explanatory annotations and word glosses.
- Edited by one of the world's leading Milton scholars, the author of the acclaimed The Life of Milton (Blackwell 2000), which won the Milton Society of America's James Holly Hanford Book Award
- Offers readers the opportunity to experience the brilliance and beauty of Paradise Lost as it was experienced by his contemporaries
- Presents Paradise Lost in its original 1674 form
- Incorporates accidentals (spelling and punctuation) from the 1674 edition
- Recovers Miltonic rhythms, pronunciations, and sound qualities often lost in modern editions
- Annotates names, places, biblical and literary allusions, and unfamiliar words
- Includes illustrations by John Baptista Medina from the 1688 Folio edition
"Barbara Lewalski is the doyenne of the community of Milton scholars, but she also remains committed to the enterprise of teaching. In this exemplary edition of Paradise Lost both qualities are in evidence: the text is scrupulous and the scholarship rigorous, but both the...