Shrinking The Technosphere: Getting A Grip On Technologies That Limit Our Autonomy, Self-Sufficiency And Freedom
Shrinking the Technosphere: Getting a Grip on Technologies that Limit our Autonomy, Self-Sufficiency and Freedom
Over the past two centuries we have witnessed a wholesale replacement of most of the previous methods of conducting both business and daily life with new, technologically advanced, more efficient methods.
What exactly is progressive or efficient about this new arrangement is hardly ever examined in depth: if the new ways of doing things are so much better, then we must all be leading relaxed, stress-free, enjoyable lives with plenty of free time to devote to art and leisure activities. But a more careful look at these changes shows us that many of these advances are not weighing favourably in a harm/benefit comparison. The harm to the environment, society, and even to our own personalities, on an individual level, is plain to see, but is brushed off with hollow claims about efficiency and progress.
Shrinking the Technosphere guides readers through the process of bringing technology down to a manageable number of carefully chosen, essential, well-understood and controllable elements. It is about regaining the freedom to use technology for our own benefit, and is critical reading for all who seek to get back to a point where technologies...
- Palm Springs-Style Gardening: The Complete Guide To Plants And Practices For Gorgeous Dryland Gardens
- CONNECTED MATHEMATICS GRADE 6 STUDENT EDITION PRIME TIME
- A+ Guide To Hardware
- The Good Dog
- We Are Left Without A Father Here: Masculinity, Domesticity, And Migration In Postwar Puerto Rico (American Encounters/Global Interactions)
- Managing Challenging Behaviors In Schools: Research-Based Strategies That Work (What Works For Special-Needs Learners)
- Insects Tattoos
- Sight Map: Poems (New California Poetry)
- Elementary And Intermediate Algebra (Hutchison Series In Mathematics)
- Wishes And Worries: Coping With A Parent Who Drinks Too Much Alcohol
- Pixel Crochet: 101 Supercool 8-Bit Inspired Designs To Crochet
- Honey... Honey... Lion!
- How To Draw Manga Volume 15: Girls' Life Illustration File (v. 15)
- Marine Biotechnology: Enabling Solutions For Ocean Productivity And Sustainability
- London Dawn To Dusk
- Becoming An Urban Planner: A Guide To Careers In Planning And Urban Design
- Roadshow: Landscape With Drums: A Concert Tour By Motorcycle
- The Road
- The Guidebook To Sociolinguistics
- Brain Lock, Twentieth Anniversary Edition: Free Yourself From Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior