Formations Of Ritual: Colonial And Anthropological Discourses On The Sinhala Yaktovil
Formations of Ritual: Colonial and Anthropological Discourses on the Sinhala Yaktovil
Formations of Ritual was first published in 1994. Minnesota Archive Editions uses digital technology to make long-unavailable books once again accessible, and are published unaltered from the original University of Minnesota Press editions.
Yaktovil is an elaborate healing ceremony employed by Sinhalas in Sri Lanka to dispel the effects of the eyesight of a pantheon of malevolent supernatural figures known as yakku. Anthropology, traditionally, has articulated this ceremony with the concept metaphor of "demonism." Yet, as David Scott demonstrates in this provocative book, this use of "demonism" reveals more about the discourse of anthropology than it does about the ritual itself. His investigation of yaktovil and yakku within the Sinhala cosmology is also an inquiry into the ways in which anthropology, by ignoring the discursive history of the rituals, religions, and relationships it seeks to describe, tends to reproduce ideological-often, specifically colonial-objects.To do this, Scott describes the discursive apparatus through which yakku are positioned in the moral universe of Sinhala, traces the appearance of yakku and yaktovil in Western discourse, evaluates the contribution of these figures and this ceremony in anthropology, and attempts to show how the larger anthropology of...
- Moderne Alphabets: 100 Complete Fonts (Dover Pictorial Archives)
- Inside My Mind: A Book About Me! (Disney/Pixar Inside Out) (Disney Chapters)
- 101 Things I Learned In Engineering School
- Love: A Celebration Of Humanity (M.I.L.K.)
- The Zacek Tapes: Reflections About Theater, Community And Leadership
- Van Halen Rising: How A Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal
- Bad Blood ((The Naturals #4))
- The Land Rover Story (Story Series)
- NFL Coloring Book: All 32 NFL American Football Team Logos To Color - Excellent Childrens Birthday Gift / Present Idea.
- Boris Charmatz: MoMA Dance (Modern Dance)
- The Best American Magazine Writing 2001 (Best American Magazine Writing)
- The Ladies-In-Waiting
- Accounting Principles I (Cliffs Quick Review)
- Fundamentals Of Franchising
- A Flight Of Fancy: A Novel (The Daughters Of Bainbridge House) (Volume 2)
- When It's Right: A Montana Men Novel
- Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman On Sexism And The Scapegoating Of Femininity
- When The Market Moves, Will You Be Ready?
- The Dreamer Volume 2: The Kipp's Bay Affair
- It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Toiletman! #17 (George Brown, Class Clown)