Field Of Schemes: How The Great Stadium Swindle Turns Public Money Into Private Profit, Revised And Expanded Edition
Field of Schemes: How the Great Stadium Swindle Turns Public Money into Private Profit, Revised and Expanded Edition
Field of Schemes is a play-by-play account of how the drive for new sports stadiums and arenas drains $2 billion a year from public treasuries for the sake of private profit. While the millionaires who own sports franchises have seen the value of their assets soar under this scheme, taxpayers, urban residents, and sports fans have all come out losers, forced to pay both higher taxes and higher ticket prices for seats that, thanks to the layers of luxury seating that typify new stadiums, usually offer a worse view of the action.
The stories in Field of Schemes, from Baltimore to Cleveland and Minneapolis to Seattle and dozens of places in between, tell of the sports-team owners who use their money and their political muscle to get their way, and of the stories of spirited local groups—like Detroit’s Tiger Stadium Fan Club and Boston’s Save Fenway Park!—that have fought to save the games we love and the public dollars our cities need.
This revised and expanded edition features the first comprehensive reporting on the recent stadium battles in Washington DC, New...
- Blues Saxophone: An In-Depth Look At The Styles Of The Masters
- Initial Public Offerings: A Practical Guide To Going Public
- Leviticus 23-27 (The Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries)
- Media And Morality: On The Rise Of The Mediapolis
- S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete Collection Omnibus
- Master Your Money: A Step-by-Step Plan For Experiencing Financial Contentment
- Ciudades Rebeldes: Del Derecho De La Ciudad A La Revolución Urbana (Spanish Edition)
- Time Series Analysis And Its Applications: With R Examples (Springer Texts In Statistics)
- Algo Pasó Y Me Da Miedo Decirlo: Un Libro Para Jóvenes Víctimas Del Abuso (Spanish Edition)
- Sam Falls
- Misty Of Chincoteague
- A History Of Corporate Finance
- Secret Lives Of Great Filmmakers: What Your Teachers Never Told You About The World's Greatest Directors
- Public Speaking: The Evolving Art, Loose-Leaf Version
- MMA Mastery: Strike Combinations (MMA Mastery Series)
- For Business Ethics: A Critical Text
- Princess Academy
- Rethinking Race, Class, Language, And Gender: A Dialogue With Noam Chomsky And Other Leading Scholars
- Museum Making: Narratives, Architectures, Exhibitions (Museum Meanings)