Citizenship And Social Class (Pluto Classics)
Citizenship and Social Class (Pluto Classics)
Over forty years after it first appeared, T.H. Marshall's seminal essay on citizenship and social class in postwar Britain has acquired the status of a classic. His lucid analysis of the principal elements of citizenship -- namely, the possession of civil, political and social rights -- is as relevant today as it was when it first appeared. It is reissued here with a complementary monography by Tom Bottomore in which the meaning of citizenship is re-examined, in very different historical circumstances. In asking how far the prospects for class equality have been realised, Bottomore continues the discussion in a context that encompasses the restoration of civil and political rights in Eastern Europe, problems of welfare capitalism, citizenship and the nation state and the broader issues of equality and democratic institutions.
About the Author
T.H. Marshall was Professor of Sociology at the London School of Economics, then director of the Social Sciences Department at UNECSO and President of the International Sociological Assoiciation from 1959 to 1962. Tom Bottomore is Professor Emeritus at the University of Sussex, where he was Professor of Sociology for seventeen years. He was a president of the British...
- Advanced Introduction To International Political Economy (Elgar Advanced Introduction) (Elgar Advanced Introductions)
- CARTA ENCICLICA LAUDATO SI:SOBRE EL CUIDADO CASA COMUN
- Patología Oral Y General En Odontología (Spanish Edition)
- Media Franchising: Creative License And Collaboration In The Culture Industries (Postmillennial Pop)
- The New Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain
- Nuclear Medicine: A Core Review
- Class Trip & The Mustache
- A Special Kind Of Doctor: A History Of Veterinary Medicine In Texas
- The Honest Courtesan: Veronica Franco, Citizen And Writer In Sixteenth-Century Venice (Women In Culture And Society)
- DC Super Heroes: My First Book Of Super Villains: Learn The Difference Between Right And Wrong!
- Research-Based Learning: Case Studies From Maastricht University (Professional Learning And Development In Schools And Higher Education)
- The New Gerswin Musical Comedy Crazy For You Complete Vocal Selections PVG
- How To Draw People: Sketching In ONE Day!
- Principles Of Thermodynamics (Undergraduate Chemistry: A Series Of Textbooks)
- Essential Questions To Ask When Buying A House In France: And How To Ask Them
- Mitch O'Connell Tattoos Volume Two: 251 Designs, Bigger And Better!
- Walter Niedermayr: The Aspen Series
- What Is The Trinity? (Crucial Questions (Reformation Trust))
- Willliam Morris And The Arts And Crafts Movement: A Design Source Book