The Scarlet Sisters: Sex, Suffrage, And Scandal In The Gilded Age
The Scarlet Sisters: Sex, Suffrage, and Scandal in the Gilded Age
A fresh look at the life and times of Victoria Woodhull and Tennie Claflin, two sisters whose radical views on sex, love, politics, and business threatened the white male power structure of the nineteenth century and shocked the world. Here award-winning author Myra MacPherson deconstructs and lays bare the manners and mores of Victorian America, remarkably illuminating the struggle for equality that women are still fighting today.
Victoria Woodhull and Tennessee "Tennie" Claflin-the most fascinating and scandalous sisters in American history-were unequaled for their vastly avant-garde crusade for women's fiscal, political, and sexual independence. They escaped a tawdry childhood to become rich and famous, achieving a stunning list of firsts. In 1870 they became the first women to open a brokerage firm, not to be repeated for nearly a century. Amid high gossip that he was Tennie's lover, the richest man in America, fabled tycoon Cornelius Vanderbilt, bankrolled the sisters. As beautiful as they were audacious, the sisters drew a crowd of more than two thousand Wall Street bankers on opening day. A half century before women could vote, Victoria used her Wall Street fame to become the first woman...
- I Am Jazz
- To Be A Slave
- Jazz With Luigi: Descriptive Notes (Famous Teacher Series)
- Heaven: My Father's House
- Laboratory Experiments In Microbiology (10th Edition)
- Starting A Successful Blog When You Have NO CLUE! - 7 Steps To WordPress Bliss... (Beginner Internet Marketing Series) (Volume 1)
- Essentials Of Robust Control
- How To Be The Perfect Grandpa: Listen To Grandma
- Billy Sure Kid Entrepreneur Is A Spy!
- How To Talk Minnesotan: Revised For The 21st Century
- $20 Per Gallon: How The Inevitable Rise In The Price Of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives For The Better
- Wuthering Heights: A BabyLit® Weather Primer (BabyLit Books)
- Infinite Awareness: The Awakening Of A Scientific Mind
- An Unfinished Marriage
- Blank Sheet Music Notebook: Vintage Cover,12 Stave, Music Manuscript Paper,Staff Paper,Musicians Notebook 8 X 10,100 Pages
- Nashville Songwriting By Jerry Cupit (1995-10-02)
- Against The Tide
- The Chicagoan: A Lost Magazine Of The Jazz Age
- Soulwinning: A Classic On Biblical Christianity