With The Lapps In The High Mountains: A Woman Among The Sami, 1907–1908
With the Lapps in the High Mountains: A Woman among the Sami, 1907–1908
With the Lapps in the High Mountains is an entrancing true account, a classic of travel literature, and a work that deserves wider recognition as an early contribution to ethnographic writing. Published in 1913 and available here in its first English translation, it is the narrative of Emilie Demant Hatt's nine-month stay in the tent of a Sami family in northern Sweden in 1907–8 and her participation in a dramatic reindeer migration over snow-packed mountains to Norway with another Sami community in 1908. A single woman in her thirties, Demant Hatt immersed herself in the Sami language and culture. She writes vividly of daily life, women's work, children's play, and the care of reindeer herds in Lapland a century ago.
While still an art student in Copenhagen in 1904, Demant Hatt had taken a vacation trip to northern Sweden, where she chanced to meet Sami wolf hunter Johan Turi. His dream of writing a book about his people sparked her interest in the culture, and she began to study the Sami language at the University of Copenhagen. Though not formally trained as an ethnographer, she had an...
- Papertoy Monsters: 50 Cool Papertoys You Can Make Yourself!
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How To Make The Most Of Them Now
- ENCOUNTERS WITH STAR PEOPLE: Untold Stories Of American Indians
- The Folkwear Book Of Ethnic Clothing: Easy Ways To Sew & Embellish Fabulous Garments From Around The World
- Practical Govt Budgeting: A Workbook For Public Managers (Suny Series In Medical Anthropology)
- Differentiated Early Literacy For English Language Learners: Practical Strategies
- 4000 ALPHABET & LETTER MOTIFS; A SOURCEBOOK; WITH CD
- Goodbye: In Search Of Gordon Jenkins
- Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Prelude
- Garfield Caution: Wide Load: His 56th Book
- Television Production Handbook
- Many Specialties, One Corps: A Pictorial History Of The Medical Services Corps
- A Friend Of The Family
- Broadcast News Handbook: Writing, Reporting, And Producing In The Age Of Social Media
- The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice Of A Thirteen-Year-Old Boy With Autism
- Language Disorders In Children: A Multicultural And Case Perspective
- W Cieniu Pelni Ksiezyca (Opowiesci Pelni Ksiezyca) (Volume 2) (Polish Edition)
- Evolution Of Stars And Stellar Populations
- Alfred's Rudimental Duets: For Intermediate Snare Drummers