Beer And Revolution: The German Anarchist Movement In New York City, 1880-1914
Beer and Revolution: The German Anarchist Movement in New York City, 1880-1914
Beer and Revolution examines the rollicking life and times of German immigrant anarchists in New York City from 1880 to 1914. Offering a new approach to an often misunderstood political movement, Tom Goyens puts a human face on anarchism and reveals a dedication less to bombs than to beer halls and saloons where political meetings, public lectures, discussion circles, fundraising events, and theater groups were held.
Goyens brings to life the fascinating relationship between social space and politics by examining how the intersection of political ideals, entertainment, and social activism embodied anarchism not as an abstract idea, but as a chosen lifestyle for thousands of women and men. He shows how anarchist social gatherings were themselves events of defiance and resistance that aimed at establishing anarchism as an alternative lifestyle through the combination of German working-class conviviality and a dedication to the principle that coercive authority was not only unnecessary, but actually damaging to full and free human development as well. Goyens also explores the broader circumstances in both the United States and Germany that served as catalysts for...
- Comic Genius: Portraits Of Funny People
- Thirty-Eight Witnesses: The Kitty Genovese Case
- Teachings Of The Tao
- Aveline Kushi's Complete Guide To Macrobiotic Cooking: For Health, Harmony, And Peace
- Nonprofits As Policy Solutions To The Burden Of Government
- Preventing Sudden Death In Sport & Physical Activity
- John Heartfield: Laughter Is A Devastating Weapon
- This Business Of Urban Music: A Practical Guide To Achieving Success In The Industry, From Gospel To Funk To R&B To Hip-Hop
- A Horse To Love: An Enchanted Stables Story (Disney Princess) (Pictureback(R))
- El Monje Que Vendió Su Ferarri: Una Fábula Espiritual (Spanish Edition)
- Technical Documentation Solutions Series: Designing Templates And Formatting Documents - How To Make User Manuals And Online Help Systems Visually ... And How To Make Templates Efficient To Use
- Fundamental Drumstick Control: A Beginning Approach To Snare Drum Technique, Book & CD
- Revolution Detroit: Strategies For Urban Reinvention (Painted Turtle)
- Public Speaking: A Handbook For Christians
- Beginning The Linux Command Line
- Reminiscences Of Travel In Australia, America, And Egypt
- Suzuki Flute School, Vol 1: Piano Acc.
- The American Japanese
- The Ecological Design And Planning Reader
- La Gestión De Los Procesos Metrológicos. Análisis E Integración De Un Sistema De Gestión De Las Mediciones (ISO 10012:2003)