Everyday Harm: Domestic Violence, Court Rites, And Cultures Of Reconciliation
Everyday Harm: Domestic Violence, Court Rites, and Cultures of Reconciliation
By investigating the harms experienced by the victims/survivors of domestic violence, this work studies the limits of what domestic violence law can - and can't - do. It illustrates the ways cultural norms and bureaucratic procedures work to unravel laws designed to protect the safety of society's most vulnerable people.
"This book is an important contribution to studies that show how law can both reproduce hegemony while simultaneously providing an avenue to contest that hegemony. This book is also a welcome addition to studies of law and legal processes in the global South."--Contemporary Sociology
"What a tour de force of a book. . . . Data about one intensively studied court in Trinidad supplement and reconstruct our knowledge about courts of all kinds elsewhere, and the position of low status litigants within them. If this were not feat enough, our 'grand' theoretical understandings of the way law works are also challenged. So do go away and read this book."--Howard Journal of Criminal Justice
"[Lazarus-Black] goes beyond previous studies by synthesizing multiple factors into a model to explain how societies discourage victims of...
- Furniture: Great Designs From Fine Woodworking
- The Art Of Asking: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Let People Help
- Winning Grants Step By Step: The Complete Workbook For Planning, Developing And Writing Successful Proposals
- Splitting Heirs: Giving Your Money And Things To Your Children Without Ruining Their Lives
- Ecotopia Emerging
- How Long? How Long?: African-American Women In The Struggle For Civil Rights
- A Practical Guide To Advanced Networking (3rd Edition)
- Thinking Through Project-Based Learning: Guiding Deeper Inquiry
- P?deme Lo Que Quieras Y Yo Te Lo Dar?
- Data Structures And Abstractions With Java (2nd Edition)
- Painters Quick Reference: Flowers & Blooms
- Styx (Walk Of Shame 2nd Generation #2) (Volume 2)
- Klebstoff 7 Stickermag
- Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual, Main Version (11th Edition)
- Making The Most Of Small Groups: Differentiation For All
- Flute Concertos (Woodwind Solo) No. 1802
- Wheatgrass Nature's Finest Medicine: The Complete Guide To Using Grasses To Revitalize Your Health
- The Ultimate Guide To Sports Marketing
- Vegetable Juicing For Everyone: How To Get Your Family Healthier And Happier, Faster!
- Liberty, Equality, Fraternity: Exploring The French Revolution