Dancing Lives: Five Female Dancers From The Ballet D'Action To Merce Cunningham
Dancing Lives: Five Female Dancers from the Ballet d'Action to Merce Cunningham
Working from the premise that dance history can be studied as it has been created in and through the bodies of dancers, Karen Eliot closely examines the lives and careers of five popular female dancers: Giovanna Baccelli, Adèle Dumilâtre, Tamara Karsavina, Moira Shearer, and Catherine Kerr. Notable dancers in European and Russian ballet and American modern dance genres, these women represent a historical cross section of performance, training, and technique.
By elegantly guiding the reader through the Russian Revolution, stage fright and illness, liaisons with aristocracy, movie stardom, and dancing rivalries, Dancing Lives provides valuable insight into the culture in which each woman performed. Readers are introduced to each dancer's social and economic status, her education and training, and changing debates about dance and choreography. The resulting stories are packed with intimate personal details, keen descriptions of dance pedagogy and performance, and behind-the-curtain glimpses of popular dance trends.
"Eliot . . . chronicles the lives of five female 'underdog' dancers . . . focusing on such details as their...
- Pop-up Peekaboo: Woof! Woof!
- Big Book Of Christmas Songs Trombone
- Norah Gaughan’s Knitted Cable Sourcebook: A Breakthrough Guide To Knitting With Cables And Designing Your Own
- Vygotsky And Creativity: A Cultural-historical Approach To Play, Meaning Making, And The Arts (Educational Psychology)
- The Cross Of War: Christian Nationalism And U.S. Expansion In The Spanish-American War (Studies In American Thought And Culture)
- It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here: My Journey Through Show Business
- The Associated Press Stylebook And Briefing On Media Law 2011 (Associated Press Stylebook & Briefing On Media Law)
- Dog Sense: How The New Science Of Dog Behavior Can Make You A Better Friend To Your Pet
- 100 Hut Walks In The Alps: Routes For Day And Multi-day Walks (Cicerone Guides)
- Health Insurance And Managed Care: What They Are And How They Work
- Incendiary Art: Poems (Triquarterly Books)
- Only A Promise (Survivor's Club)
- Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How To Calm, Connect, And Communicate With Your Baby
- Drawn To The Edge (Wildlife Art Series)
- Magnus Chase And The Gods Of Asgard, Book Two: The Hammer Of Thor (Rick Riordan's Norse Mythology)
- Reading Street, Grade 3.2: Practice Book
- The Egg (First Discovery Series)
- El Emperador De Todos Los Males: Una Biografía Del Cáncer
- Dream Stuff: Stories
- ’s Lost Manga